Thursday, February 2, 2012


My neighbor said something terrifying yesterday. 


Her son started shaving.

I stood there, watching my 2 year old son dig in the winter dirt of our summer garden, as she continued.  She said without moving,

"He has hairy legs." 

I tried to imagine Finley this way.
"I sit next to him on the couch", she said, "and I feel like I'm sitting next to a man." 

This has seriously disturbed me. 

Cut to 4:15 am and my baby boy has woken up wanting to snuggle and I can't get back to sleep.  So here we sit.  With his perfect smooth cheek pressed against my shoulder.  His drooling lips glisten in the light of my laptop. 

And I am terrified

How is it possible that this soft, big eyed, chubby~legged, mama~loving angel could become a MAN?  A hairy, stinky, deodorant wearing man? 

I must find a spell or magic elixir to stop this madness.  Who's with me? 

I can't stop staring at him.  His eyelashes, his toes, his little bottom when he takes his diaper off.  (Okay the last part is kinda annoying as he has been a little messy with the diaper taking off business lately~see previous post).

It is so easy to get caught up in the getting thru the day parts of the day or the phases to address...potty training, getting him to sleep all night in his own bed, eating vegetables.  I am stunned by the realization that I am training a MAN.  I know, how did I not see this coming?  Isn't this kinda logical?  I can't answer that...it just never hit me until now. 

With my neighbor's voice in my head and my silent house with my little snuggler in my lap.  I hope desperately that I'm doing it right.  I hope he's a good man like his daddy.  I hope he has love and humor, integrity and loyalty.  All the best parts of me and my KISA without our flaws. 

And selfishly, I hope he will still snuggle me forever

I'm not gonna give up on that magic though.  I do have a silver penny...

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand. I have those same thoughts about my 3 year old little boy. One day he will find another woman he will want to spend the rest of his life with, we have to teach them to be the best men they can be.

    ReplyDelete