Sunday, January 22, 2012

Style...

It's winter and I'm hibernating.  Letting my kids watch hours of educational TV (Scooby Do) and reading, learning, obsessing with my best friends out there on the Internet.

I have been immersing myself in tutorials and photography education. I even had a personal skype conversation with the great Jasmine Star (very famous wedding photographer)(and it was really just a YouTube video I clicked on if you must know). I continue to grow and learn with the focus on "being myself" and finding my voice as a photographer and writer (I feel like I'm trying out both those titles out for size).  
I vow to never replicate or copy an other's vision. So, I'm trying to pinpoint my own style. I guess the best way to do this is to examine my personal style in general. My home, my clothes, music, and the things I'm drawn to.

It would be outrageously boring for you to just read about me...so answer these questions for yourself as we go. It'll be fun like a 7th grade sleepover with a Cosmo quiz about boys...okay, maybe not quite as fun...

1. What's your home like?

My home is cozy & casual. Neutral. I love lots of white and clean and simple. I've always loved a white kitchen with a big window above the sink.   I like warm black and honeyish wood accents. Some brown leather and baskets. I like warm yellowish beige walls. VERY casual. I don't own formal china or a formal dining table. Your kid could run completely wild in my house with absolutely no fear of breaking or dirtying anything.  I don't have rules like you can't play in there, or no shoes on the carpet, or the like.  I like everyone to feel like a backdoor~no need to knock~friend.
While, I love other people's bright and bold photos and I love the "modern vintage" look of antropoligie or the styled look of photographers who use lots of props, I am not that photographer.   I like lots of negative space, earth tones and ethereal finishes.  I hope after a photo session with me you feel like a friend.  A special, real, no need to knock friend.

2. What do you wear?

Clothes, well I Love style. But you wouldn't know it by looking. I wear 6 year old uggs everyday in winter and flip flops in summer. I wear plain tees almost everyday, again lots of white and green. And jeans always. I like to be comfortable. I haven't ironed or been to the dry cleaner in over 5 years, for real!  If money were no object I might own more things from acacia or lululemon yoga wear, or bohemian skirts with tons of jewelry (picture Barbara Streisand in Meet the Faulkers) but I don't. I love big earrings and scarves to make things interesting and convince myself I have "dressed up".
My pictures are equally casual.  No forced poses or fake smiles.  No stress photo sessions.

3.  What kind of music do you like? 

I LOVE music.  The only thing I don't like is hard rock or heavy metal. (forgive me for being unAmerican, but I don't like Green Day, Neil diamond, or Bruce Springsteen either) But my favorites are calming, tender, Van Morrison, Sara Barialles, Ben folds, Kina Grannis, Jack Johnson, Eric Hutchinson, Cold Play, Marie Digby, John Mayor, Brooke Fraser, Counting Crows, old school Lilith Fair fare, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Motown oldies, the Beatles Abby Road album, Elizabeth Mitchell, okay, moving on.

You get the gist.  I hope my photos make you hear soft, sentimental music in your head. 

My dream is that in 15 years you look at the photo and don't say "oh, she looks cute there".  Instead feel something.  Feel the memory of your baby's childhood.  Feel her skin on your cheek, smell the strawberry shampoo you used to use in the bathtub when she was 4.  Really remember "that's how it truly was for us then.  In the magic fleeting moments of childhood captured in time." 

4. What are you drawn to? What gives you warm fuzzies or a sense of being alive or comforted?

I am drawn to windows with light POURING in and white fluffy, sad-faced dogs. (love my dog) I love the idea of taking a nap in that spot on the floor where the window light is warm. Pajamas. Comfort foods and warm drinks to calm my-ever-chasing anxiety  (I am drinking tea and coffee all the time). Books. I love happy books. I am inspired by children's books~especially poetry.  Books about relationships. Childhood. Dreamy creamy simple sweet fairy filled  hot cocoa magic. I like Cotton candy, long slow walks on summer days with my children, sunsets, my kids skin, and the moment when you drive out of the rain.  My favorite images are the ones where it seems you can feel the soul of the person permeating thru their eyes. Big crystal clear eyes with creamy dreamy oil painting backgrounds and the more bokah (that is a fancy photo word with roots in Japan for the out of focus or blurry background) the better.

Here's my favorites that I have taken that I think represent my style.



Do you have favorites of my work? How would you describe it? Help me out here...

























Now, do your homework.
necessarily, but you wear clothes right?  (If not, contact me we need to talk.)  What you wear says a lot about you and you should know yourself. Are you a big hoop earrings and bun girl with a flowy skirt? Or are you all Brooks Brothers?  Do you iron your jeans?  Do you wear the same black yoga pants everyday with no intention of practicing yoga?   It's part of living a full life to surround yourself in what you love. No judgements, no pretense.  Tell me your style in a few words on facebook or in the comments section. I'll help if you want. Let's make it a hibernation project. So that next time you're considering a piece of art, a sweater, a couch, a photographer perhaps...you will..consider this. What is your style? Find it and be it.  It will make you happier.
Love,

Britt

P.S. It occurs to me you may be taking note of my poor grammar,  run on sentences, and tangential partial statements.  I write how I talk in my head and I want you to read it that way.  Like we are sharing coffee time on your couch.  But I do apologize to you show-offy English types.  I love your perfectionism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment