Friday, January 20, 2012



This year my niece turned 16.  All the women in the family wrote letters of advice to her.  Then we spent the weekend in a bed & breakfast celebrating her special birthday.  I left that weekend feeling renewed and inspired.  I hope I never stop being grateful and learning from the women around me young and old.  I thought I'd share what I wrote in my letter. 

Dear Elaine,

I take photos during what they call the "golden" or the "magic" hour.  I try desperately to capture the enchanted glow in a young girls eye.  So its no surprise I believe in magic.   Much of my advice to you comes from that place.   A place where dreams come true and women run with wolves

  • First; please protect your left brain.  we are born creative spirits and as we grow up we structure our thoughts and the glitter dissipates
  • Be sentimental.  your relationships are everything, everything, everything
  • Stay close to your mom.  There will come a time when the only thing to soothe your soul is a hug from her and a hot cup of  tea with milk and honey
  • Protect your girlfriend relationships.  There is little more profound than a chosen sisterhood
  • Be brave in your choices.  Be a woman who runs with wolves
  • The things you will ultimately be proudest of are really hard.  Anything worthwhile often is.
  •  You teach people how to treat you.  Demand respect and deserve kindness.
  •  The easy was is rarely the best way. 
  • Love and marriage...hummm.  Look to good models.  Have high standards and believe in soul mates. 
  • Go to college.  Work hard and play hard.  It changes everything.
  • Learn about desire and hope and hard work. 
  • Use your imagination every. day.
  • Instant gratification is the enemy of contentment. 
  • Have belief.  Have an appetite for marvels
  • We all grow up and the fairy tale of your life is up to you.  You must create your own happily ever after. That starts now. 
Welcome to the pack!

Now.
Close your eyes and imagine running in the snow.  You're in the woods and you can feel the wind in your face, and hear the smooth rustle of the wide eyed wolves low to the ground making your pace.  The feeling of freedom, a slight edge of fear and knowing that there is something ahead of you and you are never alone.  Be brave.  Feel our support, this pack of women. 
                                                     Now open your eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment