Monday, November 1, 2010

Animal crackers, cocoa, and sweet photographs

Animal Crackers, and cocoa to drink, 
That is the finest of suppers, I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these.

What do you choose when you're offered a treat?
When Mother says, "What would you like best to eat?"
Is it waffles and syrup, or cinnamon toast? 
It's cocoa and animals that I love the most!

The kitchen 's the cosiest place that I know: 
The kettle is singing, the stove is  aglow, 
And there in the twilight, how jolly to see
The cocoa and animals waiting for me.

(an excerpt from Christopher Morley)

   This poem makes me think of childhood and the carefree spirit of snacks & play.  What's your favorite comfort food?  Mine is too obvious; coffee, chocolate, ice cream, and wine.  I would have them all together if you offered.  But as a kid, anything with cinnamon sugar.  My grandmother kept a mauve blown glass cinnamon sugar shaker on her counter. I still get nostalgic about it when I smell the sweet spice.  Yumm-o.

       So now that we're in the mood for the magic, comfort and laughter of children, check out a few of my favorite kid photos. . .
 Old school Polly
Evan
At the IMA

 My KISA says Ruby looks like a "little person" here.  Now that I say that. . .  she does, huh!  It doesn't ruin it for me (Mommy eyes)
Sassy Lillian

Ruby age 2

Lucy at Eagle Creek, age 1 1/2

Polly Marie (Yep, my cowgirl bestie's girl)
 


Lucy following sissy


Olivia

Old pic of the girls at IMA

One of my ALL TIME fav's (Charlie)

There are many more, but my computer (best friend and worst enemy) is S-L-O-----W.  See you later...
LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Every time I read these, I just want to go out for a class of wine with you and chat for hours!

    ReplyDelete