Thursday, November 4, 2010

Slow Chill

How strong am I?  Stronger than I ever thought.  We all are.  We trudge through days of jobs we dislike or tasks that bore us, relatives, friends, or co-workers that bring us down. We change diapers and deal with demands and fits and arguments.  Most of us with a sincere smile and sense of gratitude for the wonder in our lives.   Holidays bring more of these things. Along with magic, cocoa, shiny presents with big bows, first snows, sugar cookies, kid crafts, and candy canes.   Did I say magic and infinite joy? 

But I digress. 

To endure this slow chill and long list of to do's we require strength

Strength like winter trees, defiant to the cold.  Whispering, "I will be back" as their last leaf tumbles.  Striking dark branches against a white sky. 

I need strength to deal with Ruby's want monster.  Lucy's demand to only wear spinney skirts that twirl.  "Give me the twirl skirt or I will cut you!" (she said that with her eyes I swear!)  Finley's overtired tears. And all of the cabin fever without outside play. 

There is a fairy door at the bottom of a tree trunk in my backyard.  Where do fairies go in the cold stark solitude of winter?  Into the oaks I think.  Stealing moments to fly on rare sunny days. 
  


We can be this strong.  But strength is delicate like a  horses muscular legs break easily.  A tree's roots need room to grow.    So as Fall passes and the bluster of winter settles upon us, I wish you strength to get through the harder days.  And be careful with each other, for we become more brittle and fragile in this winter air.  


Here are some moments captured of my winters past.













Sending you a silver penny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment